In an emergency

Keep calm. 

Do not put yourself in danger. 

Alert the emergency services as soon as possible.

Dial 999 if people are injured, or there is a threat to life,
or are facing an incident or crime right now and need police help immediately.

Medical - When to call an ambulance (999)

Always call 999 (or you can use 112 anywhere in the European Union) in a medical emergency, that is if someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk, for example if they have:

  • unconsciousness or slipping in and out of consciousness
  • a suspected stroke
  • heavy blood loss
  • suspected broken bones
  • a deep wound such as a stab wound
  • a suspected heart attack, see also Defibrillator
  • difficulty in breathing
  • severe burns 
  • a severe allergic reaction.

Please note - 111 is the NHS non-emergency number. Use 111 if you urgently need medical help or advice, but it is not a life-threatening situation.


Dial 999 if you are facing an incident or crime right now and you need police help immediately. Such emergencies may include:

  • someone using violence or threatening violence
  • there is a danger to life
  • serious damage is being or could be caused to a property
  • a potential criminal has been disturbed or apprehended
  • a road traffic collision where someone is hurt and/or a danger is being caused to other road users.

Please note - 101 is the number for you to call to contact the police when it's less urgent than 999. 101 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Police Connect (non urgent):


Query  Contact  Non urgent 
 Farm/Agricultural & general advice     DC Andy Brown       Tel. 101 or 07900 407106
 Metal theft DC Andy Brown  Tel. 101 or 07900 407106
 Wildlife crime Insp. Jon Papworth    Tel. 101
 Newsletter feedback T/Sgt. Horton-Smith 
 All other enquiries DC Andy Brown

Fire & Rescue Service

In an emergency dial 999.

Other emergency numbers

Always dial 999 in life-threatening emergencies, for Police, Fire Brigade or an ambulance. 

You may call South Norfolk Council on 01508 533633 for advice guidance or assistance on:

  • major disasters
  • evacuation
  • flooding
  • sandbags
  • storm damage.

For information on power cuts see Electricity.


Responding to an emergency

NHS 111

Emergency contact numbers (South Norfolk Council)

Contact us (Norfolk Constabulary) 

Contact us (Norfolk fire & Rescue Service) 


Updated: 24/8/2016