St Mark's Mission Hall

St Mark's Mission Hall used to stand on the edge of Yarmouth Road, almost opposite where the bus shelter is. Below is a very old photograph looking southwards along Yarmouth Road, from the junction with Church Road, and was probably taken in the late 19th/early 20th century.

St Mark's Mission Hall c1895

The church itself came from London and was erected in 1895. On the opening night it was filled to overflowing. A peppercorn rent of 50p per year was paid for all of its 86 years in service.

Plans of St Mark's Mission Hall


Reg Harvey and his wife, Hazel, outside St Mark's. He conducted his first service at this church on February 23rd 1947. 

Reg and Hazel outside St Marks   Reg Harvey outside St Mark's 1981


Inside St Mark's

In 1981 Kirby Cane Parochial Church Council found that it could no longer afford to use the mission church. The last service was held on Sunday 22nd November 1981, conducted by Rev. Roger Blankley and Mr Bill Jenner read the epistle. The site returned to the owner, Mr Ernie Pye of Beccles. 


If you have any memories of St Mark's Mission Hall, please contact us - we'd love to hear them.